All Collections
California Residents
California Reg 262 Revival Guide
California Reg 262 Revival Guide
Ingrid Rodriguez avatar
Written by Ingrid Rodriguez
Updated over a week ago

If you are a California resident who is not licensed as a dealer and you purchase a vehicle that is located in California, you will receive an Acquisition Bill of Sale (REG 262) as your ownership document. In order to register the vehicle with the California DMV, it will need to be in roadworthy condition and meet certain regulatory requirements.

The vehicle will need to complete the following inspections:

  • Smog certification. You can find a DMV-authorized smog check station near you or visit

  • Brake and light adjustment certificates. Needs to be completed by a state-licensed repair shop. Motorcycles and large commercial vehicles may require a certificate from a specialty repair shop.

  • Verification of Vehicle (REG 31). Needs to be completed by the local DMV or a California Highway Patrol station. Some items to bring are the proof of ownership, the bill of sale (if applicable), receipts for any repairs, and a $50 inspection fee.

  • Weight certificate. Needs to be completed by a California Certified Public Weighmaster. Required for pickups and trucks only.

You will need the following items:

  • Signed Reg 262. You will need to sign next to your printed name.

  • Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)

  • Verification of Vehicle (REG 31)

  • Brake and light certificates

  • Smog certification

  • Any applicable fees

Additional items that may be required include:

  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256)

  • A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) / Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008)

  • A Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Application and Certification (REG 4017)

The fees for this process include but are not limited to:

  • Revive Junk/Salvage Fee: $50

  • California Highway Patrol Fee: $30

  • Transportation Improvement Fee: $29-$206

  • Record collection fee: $2

If you have any questions regarding the REG 262 revival process, you can contact the DMV or visit the California DMV website to obtain more information.

ㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ prev

Last Updated 8/28/23

Did this answer your question?